This weekend was our first ever Bands Of America Competition! And boy was it crazy! We had to leave at 6:30 Saturday morning to get to Santa Clarita at the College of the Canyons. We had to serve the kids lunch at 11:45. We got there after the trucks but well before the buses. We were like 2 hours ahead of them. We started setting up our kitchen and then we got told that we could not cook in the parking lots, we had to go clear across campus, like 2 miles, and set up in the picnic area! We ended up behind the baseball diamond, the stadium and the soccer field. We had a great spot with an excellent view of the bands competing! It was great! Sorry the kids had to walk, but like most teenagers they found a shortcut!
It turned out to be a good thing that we were where we were, because kids kept coming off the field almost passing out from the heat. We ended up being the cooling stations for the ones that almost passed out! It was our day to be the Good Samaritans! Everyone was very grateful that we were there!
All of our band kids enjoyed the food and the area that we picked! Plus it was the Band Directors birthday, so Richard and I braved the LA area traffic to track down a Costco to get cakes, more water, cups, fork, plates, etc! He was very surprised and happy!
We did not make finals so we headed back to the hotel. The kids that had costumes dressed up in them and sat around the hotel common area and had a great time. Richard and I snuck off to bed around 9:30 because we had the 1 am shift for room checks! We had to make sure the kids were not too noisy or that they had not broken the tape on their doors. The tape helps us to know if the kids left there rooms after curfew. If the open the door with the tape on, they won't be able to get it back on once they close the door! It works very well!
On Sunday as a treat for the long day of competition, the chaperones and the band kids went to Magic Mountain! I think I was more excited then the kids! I wanted to ride all the roller coasters!
My friends Emily, George, Jeff , Sandra and I rode Goliath, Scream, Colosuss, X2, Log Jammer, Revolution and Viper! It was awesome! X2 was so scary!! You lay down and they turn you all over the place! You are upside down and backwards! I opened my eyes twice and we were upside down and then when I saw the flames! It was scary, but a moment I will never forget! I kept yelling to my friend Sandra that we were going to die!
Rebecca hung out with her friends and had a great time. Her friend Tyler lost his shoe on X2 and had to buy a pair of flip flops that cost $30! I was shocked! The park was very expensive for souviners, food, drinks, etc. Crazy! A water bottle was $3.75! And you could not bring in food or drinks! Found out later you could bring in water! I really loved the No Smoking rule at the park and the no profanity or cursing allowed! They really push the Family Friendly Park idea! I thought it was a great idea!
ReAnna, Katie, Christopher and Amberlin went to my little sister, Rosalie's place for the weekend and for trick or treating! They had fun! Plus I have like forty tons of candy to go through! I will have fun doing the "quality control" tasting! Hee hee!
No comments:
Post a Comment