My birthday was February 17th, this past Tuesday. Most people look forward to their birthday, but I have not since about my 8th birthday party. I am a twin and it just amazed me at how many people would forget that! The invitations always said you are invited to a party for Rachel and Rhonda, but everyone would show up and all the gifts said To: Rachel. It's like the "and" was invisible. All the parents said "They are twins? We did not know." So everytime, they would say the gift is for both of us or my parents would say we could share. How do you share one Barbie doll? Or a shirt that was purchased in your twins size who happens to be 2 sizes larger? It made no sense to me and besides Rachel was not the sharing type. The gifts had her name on it and in her eyes it was hers. As we got older, our friends would remember that we were twins. The school however always forgot. They would announce Rachel Fields birthday and forget me. When I use to help in the office, I realized that they thought I was a mistake in their system. Just because all the info was the same, they thought Rhonda was Rachel's middle name! Plus every yearbook, they spelled my name wrong!!
Now I think I just dislike being center of attention. I hate to be singled out and made "special" as they call it. I do not like to attract attention. People here at work give me accomadations to managers and I get embarrassed. So I think my dislike of my birthday now is a combination of the past and the attention. I have no worry about getting older. Age is only a number.
Though my dislike of being the center of attention will sort of be all messed up once I get my book published and then get it made into a movie! I don't want fame and fortune, I just want recognition, that someone likes my book.
Now I am confusing myself!
1 comment:
Happy late Birthday, Rhonda!!!
Post a Comment